An anecdote: Traveling puts us at the mercy of strangers. Especially when stumbling over the barriers of language, minute relationships are built on help – freely given – and gratitude – given back.
Perched cautiously in the doorway of the school in Mae Hong Song, Thailand, (my remote home for three months), I needed obvious assistance. One female student grabbed my elbow and led me into the kitchen; two tugged at my overweight backpack, while a third rushed me a glass of water from the reused pop bottles in the fridge. It’s difficult to speak with several swallows of liquid in your throat; and, before I could gulp out a desperate expression of my appreciation, they were thanking me.
“Thank you teacher,” as they struggled to heave my luggage upstairs and quickly wash my dirty glass. “Thank you for your kindness.”
Eventually, together, we learned a few more useful English phrases. I managed to convince them of my own dish-washing skills, and picked up their same eager hospitality. More than anything, we built our friendships on one unequivocal maxim: A wise person is one who says ‘thank you’…
A segue: Tay bwe, my Karenni students would say, to Traveler Soul for her nomination for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. If I could return the nomination, I would! Her ongoing blogging journey demonstrates how long-term travel is a lifestyle, not just a brief holiday. And isn’t that the inspiration we all need?
- 5 Things To Do Today – Daily inspiration in the form of 5 things, from vacation ideas to yoga and baking.
- Where God Takes Me – Travel, photography and spirituality that will give you reason to ponder and grow.
- Adopting James – One couple’s inspiring – and well written – move to adopt.
- Sufey – A colorful and creative view of the world.
- The Climb, A Lifetime – All sorts of inspiring subjects and stories for living a better life.
- Live Simply, Travel Lightly, Love Passionately, and Don’t Forget to Breath – Poetry in words and photographs.
- Repurposed Redhead – Travel with clear and passionate resolution.
- Bucketlist Publications – One woman’s example of how big this adventure of life can become.
And thanks to everyone brave enough to share their own thoughts, dreams and anecdotes with the online community!